For Episode 17 of the Outstanding Ohioans show, I had the pleasure of interview Don and Tracy Popp, a father-daughter combination who own and operate Don Popp Honey in Hamilton, Ohio.
Don began keeping bees in 1995 and the business has shown spectacular growth. Last year, Don Popp honey produced 95,000 pounds of honey from 500 hives. The product is known for its high quality and does not last long on the shelves in stores like Jungle Jim’s and Krogers.
Here are some of the highlights from the show:
- Learn about the importance of bees to mankind, and why there is cause for concern with the declining populations.
- Varroa Mites…the deadly killers of honeybees
- What the average homeowner can do to protect the bee population.
- “If something eliminated bees from our planet, mankind would soon perish.” -Albert Einstein
- Open House event every August on the farm.
- Why it is beneficial for his farm partners to keep hives on their property.
- How they use the “honor system” to sell their product directly from their farm.
- Beekeeping start ups
- Don and Tracy’s purpose of working to sustain the bee population for future generations.
To listen to the show, click on one of the following:
Some of the bee resources mentioned:
- National Honey Board
- Don Popp Honey’s website
- Don Popp Honey’s facebook page
- Ohio State Beekeepers Association
- Local Associations within the state of Ohio
- Southwestern Ohio Beekeepers Association
Thank you for listening, have a great day!
To purchase my E-book on my Basketball Ball Match Up Zone Defense, click here.