This show brings the audience great things Ohioans are doing to make their communities, the state, the region, and the world a better place as entrepreneurs, leaders, historical and popular culture figures.
For episode 55, I had the pleasure of speaking with Seth Cramer, Co-Owner/General Manager of Phoenix Bats Company in Plain City, Ohio. Phoenix Bats specializes in manufacturing WOOD baseball bats for baseball and softball players of all ages and abilities.
To connect with the Outstanding Ohioans show, here are a few ways:
Baseball has a following from what are commonly called “purists”. These purists love the tradition of baseball, the history of baseball, and the intricacies of baseball. The resurgence in the use of wood bats at all levels is something the purists enjoy seeing.
Seth joined the Phoenix Bat team in 2007 representing a venture capital firm in Columbus, Ohio. Here were some highlights of our conversation:
- his journey from Connecticut to Ohio
- his personal and business influences
- how Seth got involved with Phoenix Bats
- what role does venture capitalists play in business
- the difference between venture capital and angel investors
- the history of Phoenix Bats Company
- the differentiation that makes Phoenix Bats special
- the importance of customer service
- how Phoenix Bats gets involved with tournaments to promote their product
- how wood bats have come back into vogue at all levels, the rule changes to metal bats, the expected future trends, and the benefits to the player that uses wood
- why Division I college baseball has been resistant to using wood bats
- how Phoenix Bats entered a market dominated by Louisville Slugger, what has happened to Louisville Slugger, and new growth opportunities for Phoenix Bats
- how different types of wood serve different styles of hitters
- selection process for wood supplier
- Adam Eaton is a prominent major leaguer using Phoenix Bats
- in-roads being made in foreign markets
- economic impact in the local community and using local suppliers
- Seth’s best business advice-sell to the right person, at the right time, at the right amount
To contact Seth and/or Phoenix Bats, here are some ways to do so:
- Phoenix Bats contact info website page
- Seth’s phone number is 614.873.7776 or email email@example.com
- Phoenix Bats blog
- how to set up a tour
- YouTube Channel to see some visual footage of the company and product
Thank you for taking the time to listen to the show. Please leave a review on ITunes or Stitcher, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer any recommended future guests to my email.