This show brings the audience great things Ohioans are doing to make their communities, the state, the region, and the world a better place as entrepreneurs, leaders, historical and popular culture figures.
For episode 56, I had the pleasure of speaking with Heather Shumaker, author of It’s OK to Go UP the Slide… Renegade Rules for Raising Confident and Creative Kids & It’s OK NOT to Share… and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
To connect with the Outstanding Ohioans show, here are a few ways:
The two books that Heather Shumaker has written provide great insights and ideas on how to raise children to be responsible, creative human beings with the ability to communicate. Many of her thoughts counter the current culture of overprotective parents & practices within the school system.
Here were the topics we discussed in our conversation:
- growing up in Columbus, Ohio
- the background of her mother and father, who both recently retired as educators
- attending the School for Young Children, founded in 1969 in Columbus
- why she structured specific tools & ideas in her books that parents could use
- her two central parenting themes
- street smarts and stranger danger
- calendars & clocks
- conflict resolution
- reading for pleasure vs. forced reading
- technology temptation
- kid evaluation/resolution vs. adult intervention
- fairness & justice
- establishing boundaries
Listeners can connect with Heather in the following ways:
Thank you for taking the time to listen to the show. Please leave a review on ITunes or Stitcher, or email me at email@example.com. Please refer any recommended future guests to my email.